Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Reaper Miniatures - Shipping Container - Working on the Logo

I took the big plunge and started on the skull tonight. It was quite a painful process and I'm still unhappy with it at the moment. I feel better looking at the pictures now, but I can see a lot of work still needs to be done. Mostly refining the details, but I think I can pull it off. I lose nothing by trying anyway.

Tonight's results, view at your own risk:
I tried doing the interior outlines with Russet Brown, looks okay

Filling in some details

Eyes are definitely uneven and needs a little more work

Looking a little better

Tried to thin up the lines and blend the colors in the skull better. I have to remember that this is graffiti it doesn't need to be perfect.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Reaper Miniatures - Shipping Container - Break on Through to the Other Side

I'm still frustrated with the dog on the Lani side, so I decided it was time to get some work done on the other side. I spent far less time on the refining at this point and concentrated on getting all the major elements in place. Ran into a problem with the red in the letters right off, started off with a shade that was way to dark and had to lighten it up. I'm happy with the end result but I spent more time on that than I had anticipated. I'm still up in the air on what to put on the ends, I need to think of something relatively quickly though.

Here is the progress so far:

The first outline

Edging the yellow with black

On goes the first way to dark shade of red

The final shade of red which ended up being Republique Red (OOP) with some Saffron yellow to lighten it.

Black outline for the skull

Interior white outline

Filled with Vampiric shadow. very close to the colors of the actual logo

The evenings players

Monday, February 27, 2017

Reaper Miniatures - Shipping Container - Refining the Graffiti

I didn't get much time to work on the container during the week or during the weekend. I think the lettering on this side is done, but the dog underneath is still very rough and will need some serious refinement. I still need to get the other side started and think about what I want to put on the ends. I need to put something on the ends or its not going to look right.

Jazzing up the letters a bit. The dog needs serious work.

The palette for this session. Forgot the white I use; Golden Liquid Acrylics, Titanium White

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Reaper Miniatures - Shipping Container - Starting the Graffiti

I found a little spare time to get started on the graffiti on the shipping container. I have only done this once before on my Hasslefree Diorama; "Shopping II" and the graffiti was not particularly extensive on that. I will be doing both sides but I'm going to do them one at a time. I'll be as neat as possible but I quickly found out that trying to paint a straight line on a corrugated surface is not easy! This first side will feature the name of LANI and underneath it will be a dog. I started laying out the name, not sure this was the best way to do it, but sometimes its all about just getting paint on the mini.

The first thing I did was find a computer program on the web that could generate graffiti. Its amazing what's out there for this kind of thing. I printed off the name in full color, cut it out and traced around it to get the outline started. After that its all free hand work.

I'll continue to refine the name before I start work on the dog that will be underneath.
The yellow outline using Reaper HD Saffron Yellow.

Added the black lining, a bit rough at this stage, using the AMMO Matte Black

A bit of Punk Rock Pink and Magenta for the inside.

Refining the black lines and the pink interior.

The paints from this session.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Caboose Hobbies Re-opening February 25th

The re-opening of Caboose Hobbies, now known as Caboose Ltd is going to happen this coming weekend, February 25th at: 
10800 W Alameda, Lakewood CO 80226
The website is up although there is no content on it at this point in time. The new website is: mycaboose.

Looking forward to a full fledged website and seeing what they have done with the new location. Hopefully it will be very similar to the old Caboose Hobbies we knew and loved. It is a much longer trek for me now as its way out on the west side of town.